Police: Murder of Mableton man not racially motivated

Police: Murder of Mableton man not racially motivated

Posted: Updated: July 15, 2013 10:30 PM
MABLETON, Ga. -

Police say the murder of a 36-year-old man in Mableton was not racially motivated.

Some blogs and websites have compared the death of Joshua Chellew to Trayvon Martin.

The Cobb County man, who is white, was allegedly beaten by four black teenagers and then shoved into traffic, where he was strike by a vehicle on June 30.

After FOX 5 first covered the story, dozens of people posted on the FOX 5 Facebook page, asking if the murder was a hate crime – a charge police emphatically deny.

"There is no testimonial evidence nor is there any physical evidence to indicate this is racially motivated," said Sgt. Dana Pierce of the Cobb County Police Department.

Police have charged 19-year-old Jekari Strozier and three 18-year-olds: Antonio Pass, Johnathan Anthony and Kemonta Bonds, all of Mableton, in the death.

Police said that none of the attackers had ever met Chellew before the attack at the Mableton gas station.  The suspects are being charged not just with murder but also violation of the Georgia Street Gang Act. According to the arrest warrants, they are members of the "Re-Up" gang.

Anthony had his first appearance last week before a judge.

Chellew's friends say they still can't understand his murder, or the racial debate it has sparked.

"He was a good friend," said Frankie Brooks. "He was a good guy. If anyone gets killed, it should be looked at equally."

  • More Local NewsMore>>

  • Man leads Rockdale Deputies on 100mph chase

    Man leads Rockdale Deputies on 100mph chase

    Wednesday, April 23 2014 3:20 PM EDT2014-04-23 19:20:03 GMT
    A South Carolina man fleeing from deputies crashed his car and had to be pulled from the wreckage after it burst into flames.
    A South Carolina man fleeing from deputies crashed his car and had to be pulled from the wreckage after it burst into flames.
  • Manchester High evacuated over 'text message' bomb threat

    Manchester High evacuated over 'text message' bomb threat

    Wednesday, April 23 2014 12:36 PM EDT2014-04-23 16:36:51 GMT
    Students at Manchester High School were evacuated from the building late Wednesday morning following a reported bomb threat.
    Students at Manchester High School were evacuated from the building late Wednesday morning following a reported bomb threat.
  • Use of force 'not justified' in officer shooting of Bartow teen

    Use of force 'not justified' in officer shooting of Bartow teen

    Wednesday, April 23 2014 11:20 AM EDT2014-04-23 15:20:30 GMT
    A Bartow County Grand Jury has stated that the use of deadly force in the February shooting of a teen was 'not justified'. Christopher Roupe, 17, was fatally shot by Euharlee officer who claimed the teen answered the door with a gun.
    A Bartow County Grand Jury has stated that the use of deadly force in the February shooting of a teen was 'not justified'. Christopher Roupe, 17, was fatally shot by Euharlee officer who claimed the teen answered the door with a gun.
Powered by WorldNow

WDCA My20 & my20dc.com
5151 Wisconsin Ave NW
Washington, DC 20016

Phone: (202) 244-5151
Email Us

Didn't find what you were looking for?
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 Fox Television Stations, Inc. and Worldnow. All Rights Reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Ad Choices